For me I have always struggled with keeping my diet consistent. I’ll either do a juice cleanse or restricting only do veggies and proteins for a week. But I always end up binge eating after and gain all that weight back! I just couldn’t find the perfect way to keep my diet in check while keeping my tummy full and happy.
I have done a lot of trial and error over the past year or so and I have finally found a lifestyle change (notice how I didn’t say diet) that best suits me. To me, the word “diet” puts a bad taste in my mouth, diet is a temporary solution with temporary results. Lifestyle change is something you can carry with you, well…for the rest of your life.
Everyone’s body is different. What works for me may not work for you but one thing I’ve learned is you have to listen to your body. I was denying my body salt and sweets which made my mind go crazy after a few days and I ended up eating everything in sight!! Then there I was, back to square one…again.
So here are a few key things that work for me to keep my healthy eating habits in check:
- Eat small portions 5 times a day every 3 hours– This not only helps you have a happy tummy all day but it stops you from snacking later on at night.
- Only eat what you can pronounce– Meaning no processed foods! processed foods has all these words I don’t understand or how to pronounce it. Fact: Some of those fancy words contain gluten so it’s always a little risky for me.
- Drink TONS of water– I try to drink about 3 litres a day. Whether that has lemon or some fruit, just keep sipping on it all day long! Tip: If you love those bubbly drinks, go for sparkling water. Just be careful and read the label, some brands have sugar while others has a zero across the board!
- Choosing wisely at restaurants– I still believe you can go out to your favourite restaurants and have a good time but I also believe the chefs double everything in size. Order a healthy choice that catches your eye and if it comes with a sauce or dressing ask for it on the side. I also like to ask for another plate or bowl so I’m able to put what I want a smaller plate and save the remaining for another meal.
- It’s OK to indulge- It’s OK to have a few chips here or there, as long as it’s not the whole bag or every night. You want chocolate? Grab 2 squares of dark chocolate (at least 80% Cocoa) and enjoy! After all you are human! Don’t tell your body you can’t have something it wants. Otherwise one day you’ll break down and eat way more than you should have.
- Meal prep- I swear, the key to my success! I meal prep every weekend! I write down meal 1-5 and what I feel like I want to make. I stick with something that’s fairly easy and that won’t go bad by the time Thursday hits. I do love to cook for my man and see him go back for seconds (best thing to witness) so I like to make home-made soups, a roast or chicken enchiladas once in a while!
I know some of these options you’ve seen before or have heard of over and over but honestly it works for me tremendously. I am no longer hangry or crave something so bad I must have it.
I hope you guys try my tips and if you do please let me know how you like it. Or if you have any tips that work, I’d love to hear it!
Shop My Look: